Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Exerpt from Letters to My Younger Self = Eileen Fisher


Eileen Fisher is a financially successful clothing designer and entrepreneur. These are the last two paragraphs of her letter to herself in her early twenties, taken from the Book edited by Ellyn Spragins titled: "What I Know Now" (2006) . I highly recommend the book and the practice of writing a letter to one's younger self in light of what you've learned since you started struggling to become an adult.


"... take care to listen to yourself and shepherd all the pieces of who you are through to the future.

"Meditation has become the best way I know to listen to myself. ... I give you ... the words I often say when I begin to meditate: 'Stillness is the ground of being from which all else emerges. It is within and behind every breath, every thought, every action. It is my starting point, my resting place, the home base to which I can return again and again. In stillness I notice how time and space disappear. All there is, is the present moment and my willingness to listen - to allow the stillness to speak.'

"The stillness takes me into a realm of conscious awareness that transcends my identity as body or mind. Stillness offers an experience of being and a recognition that my being - my essence - is a part of all Being, all Essence.*


*from "Meditation and Rituals for Conscious Living" by Nancy J. Napier and Carolyn Tricomi

No comments: